Saturday, March 17, 2012

Plagiarized Music 03/17/12

        Last time on my blog, I have researched about the realm of going agianst the law of intellectual property and the copyright law. However, what I have learned so far about the crime agianst the form of intellectual porperty as music is that it is very hard to detect or even distinguished what is actually copied or just inspired by the song. Other times, it can be just a similar song or similar style of song. Nonetheless, the copyright law distingiushes the extent of plagiarizing the lyrics very well. The reason is very obvious because we can physically hear and see the lrics when we compare them. However, the rhythme, the beats, the solos, the chorus, etc are all not as much physical to distinguish with another or we can only see the difference very small compared to the lyrics.
        On the other hand, there are some very obvious songs that are known to be plagiarized. I believe by sharing with my viewers one of the examples of plagiarized songs, it will make us better on understanding the difference between plagiarized song and inpired song. More over, it will make us easier or clearer to difine the extent of violation of copyright law and intellectual property.
        The music that is popularly known as a plagiarized song in Korea is "I YAY!" This song was  a big hit and was one of the songs that lead the popularity of KPOP's early stage. The song copyright owner is SM Entertainment and sang by group called H.O.T. Nonetheless, the song that SM Entertainment copied is Mozart-Symphony No.25. I have nothing much to say about this plagiarized music because it is very obvious. On the other hand, I haven't researched about the copy rigtht case of this paticular song. Therefore, next time I will write about the case on my blog.

2 comments:

  1. What distinguishes a plagiarized song from a cover of a song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, with my current information, I believe covered songs usually state on the title the name of the song they covered or state "inspired by" with the original artist's name. On the other hand, plagiarized song simply do not put this to an account.

      I want to thank you for asking me this question though, John! I think this will be a good topic for me to write on my blog.

      Delete