Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Covered Song vs. Plagiarized Song 03/21/12

        My dear friend, John, asked me about the difference between a covered song and plagiarized song. I answered him with the most basic difference of two things. The biggest difference between a plagiarized song and a covered song is the form of acknowledgment of the original author or the person who has the ownership of the song. However, this short answer was not enough for me and I am sure it was the same for my friend, John. Therefore, I have decided to write a blog about the difference between plagiarized song and covered song after I have researched thoroughly about them.
        Plagiarized song is usually almost the same or exactly the same as the original song. That is why we notice or obviously state that this song is very similar to a particular song or do not categorize it as a new song. However, sometimes plagiarized songs take quite some time to get notice as a plagiarized song due to the infamous nature of the original song. In addition, it is very hard to get public attention and support from general audience when the original song is not familiar to the wide range of people. On the other hand, what I have not done that is very important is the government or the prospective of the law on this particular issue such as what is the penalty for the plagiarized song and how does the court get a case of the plagiarized song and is it not possible to sue a plagiarized song if the owner of the original song does not or could not sue the court because of the unawareness of the crime.
        Nonetheless, I am still trying to find some cases and legal information about the plagiarized songs. Therefore, it might take quite some time, but I hope my viewers be patient! On the other hand, I believe I should also focus on what are other ways in distinguishing between covered songs and plagiarized songs.

1 comment: