Friday, April 20, 2012

Intellectual Property Rights of Korea 04/20/12


        Since I have found and understood much of intellectual property law of the United States through legal documents, papers, and court cases, I have now decided to look over more on intellectual property rights of Korea. 
       I have studied the data provided by The National Assembly of the Republic of Korea on intellectual property rights. The data, however, was written in Korean with no translation. Therefore, I will use my own translation of the law on intellectual property of Korea.
        One thing that came to my interest was how the law was written at the beginning. For example, it started as:

1. "Works" shall mean a creative production belonging to the category of original literary, scientific of artistic works.
2. "Authors" shall mean the persons who create works.
3. "Performances" shall mean the presentation of a work to the public by acting, musical playing, singing, reciting, screening or by other means, and include the presentation of sound or visual recordings of performances, broadcasts or performances to the public.

        In addition, I have one article that is very similar to the United States law on intellectual property. the article 86 is stated as: The duration of authors' property rights shall continue to subsist for a period of fifty years after is is being made public; provided that, if it has not been made public within fifty years after its creation, it shall continue to subsist for a period of seventy years from its creation. This article made me question of the reason why both the United States and Korea agree on the duration of the right. To me, without knowing the reason behind it, the duration of the intellectual property rights seems to long for the efficiency of the society. Nonetheless, I will continue on researching more about intellectual property rights of Korea.
법률지식정보시스템

2 comments:

  1. I am amazed at your research on this topic.....It's sort of a "can of worms".....one thing leads to another. Keep up the great work=)
    Mrs. Rieser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I learn more about intellectual property,I find more questions to answer. I think that is one of the aspects to enjoy about learning something. Thank you so much for your support!

      Delete